While Shopify may work out of the box, getting Shopify to work the way you want can be a little trickier. If you’re looking to explore alternatives to Shopify, we’re absolute whizzes when it comes to design and development. Our team not only have years of experience working on Shopify but similar platforms too. But what are the pros and cons of Shopify?
- Design – It looks great and hordes an abundance of templates and themes
- Support – Shopify has a plethora of certified partners (like us!) who can lend a helping hand
- Usability – Basic tech skills? Shopify is a feature-rich, user-friendly platform
- Additional Fees – Unless processed through Shopify, you could lose up to 2% per transaction
- Advanced Features – Many services are locked behind a paywall
- SEO tools – Aren’t as sophisticated as they could be, which limits your ranking performance
Based in Poole, Expect Best’s services are available globally. We’re Shopify partners, so whether your project is big or small – simple or complex – we’d be happy to help. Before we get ahead of ourselves though, here’s what we consider to be the good alternatives to Shopify:
Free and open-sourced, WooCommerce offers visitors a great user-friendly experience. Unlike Shopify, it doesn’t function as a standalone site and must be hybridised with WordPress. This might sound like a bad thing, however, this factor makes it possibly the most tempting e-commerce site to build from. All good web developers have experience in WordPress. In fact, a good majority of companies and industries already use WordPress. Their websites are just so well made on the platform that you wouldn’t even know it. That’s not where the benefits end. Where Shopify functions as a monthly subscription, WooCommerce has annual subscriptions or a one-off fee. Much like Shopify, bundle packages are available. However, unlike Shopify, WooCommerce gives you the option to handpick any potential perks and extensions you might need.
- Easy-to-use – Like Shopify, WooCommerce and WordPress boast great functionality
- Free-to-use? – Although limited, it’s possible to build a store on WooCommerce for free
- No Additional Fees – Unlike Shopify, you won’t be charged up to 2% for every transaction
- Plugins – WooCommerce is a WordPress plugin and cannot act as a standalone website
- Requires tech skills – It must be integrated with a site like WordPress and can be tech-heavy
- Support – Run into trouble? WooCommerce aren’t as user-supportive as Shopify
So long as you’re familiar with coding or have a development team of programmers at your disposal, Magento is ideal for a well-established fairly large businesses. The platform allows for advanced customisation but is not for the light-hearted. Despite all its features and scalability, if you’re a tech novice, Magento may as well be written in another language. Although the community version of Magento is free, it doesn’t offer onsite hosting; so you would have to find an external host for your website. If you don’t have any know-how and require support, Magento’s Enterprise Edition could cost you in excess of £10k a year!
- Free-to-use? – So long as you know your tech talk and don’t require support!
- Inventory Management – Automatically tracks inventory levels, orders, sales and deliveries
- Responsive Designs – No matter the device, your website will automatically scale to its size
- Not for novices – Don’t know how to code? Be willing to invest in a development team
- Requires a host – Although it’s free, you’re expected to find a hosting service for your store
- Requires Tech Skills – Same as con #1. If you don’t know how to code, this isn’t for you!
This platform falls somewhere between Shopify and WooCommerce. It’s basic enough that users are able to manage their shop, although the nitty-gritty developer details can be more complex than WordPress. Yet with that said, although we know how to navigate Joomla! we wouldn’t necessarily recommend it. There are limited customisation options available to those starting out and if you’d like to truly make the service your own, you might have a hard time.
- Novice Friendly – Joomla! is easy-to-use and great for beginners
- Performance – It’s website performance is fluid and allows admins to purge expired caches
- SEO Friendly – Joomla! (like WordPress) comes out on top for search engine optimisation
- Complex – Less welcoming than WordPress, integrating custom designs can be a nightmare.
- Limited – Joomla! has a limited selection of plug-ins available, so growth could be x10 harder
- Not backwards compatible – Your site would require critical maintenance after every update
We hope this breakdown has helped. However, if you’re still none the wiser and would like some help with your e-commerce venture – get in touch! Based in Poole, Expect Best’s services are available globally. We can step into your project at any point and help improve your current design. In fact, we can see a design project all the way from planning through to the final stages of a websites completion. By asking for a quote, we can let you know what the potential cost and timeframe of your job may be. In fact, we have our experienced team may even be able to start as early as tomorrow!
Shopify Developers who can help
Our Shopify developers are full time based in our UK office and are ready to help you. If you need your online store completing or designing from scratch ready for Shopify then we can help.
Quick and effective development process
We can help you quickly and effectively. Our developers know their way around Shopify and can easy make the changes you need to get your project completed.
Integrate Shopify with other services
Some clients need other services integrated with Shopify. This is something we can work on helping your Shopify site connect to your accounting or marketing software packages.
Payment via Shopify, Stripe or Paypal
Take payments using a variety of payment processors. Our developers can get them connected to your account and working seamlessly.
Let us modify your current project or start from fresh
If you have a project underway or want to consult us on the design then we can help at any stage. We can design the site and build it for you, or work from your designers concepts.
Full design process available
As well as developers we have designers on hand to work their magic on your Shopify site. Getting the site looking just right before build is crucial to the end result of the project.
Question? The answer is usually yes.
Expect Best Ltd
9 Virage Business Park 132-134 Stanley Green Rd Poole, Dorset, BH15 3AP
Unit 9 l 132-134 Stanley Green Road l Poole l Dorset l BH15 3AP
*All our prices are exclusive of VAT unless stated otherwise
Expect best help businesses reach their full online potential by implementing well thought out digital marketing strategies and innovating ideas. As a Bournemouth Web Design agency, we are proud to be the best in the area when it comes to web development, SEO campaigns, social media management, photography and more.
Who We've Worked With